There’s no denying that the holidays have arrived.
Lights have been strung, gifts are being wrapped and holiday treats are everywhere.
It’s no secret that most people gain 5 to 10 pounds this month. With all the parties, special meals and edible gifts, weight gain is pretty much inevitable…right?
Not so fast.
I’ve come up with a little survival strategy to keep the
inevitable holiday pounds from making a permanent home on your hips and stomach…
This strategy is very simple. I’m not expecting you to have the time to log all your calories or eat every meal at home. We are going to be realistic…
Golden Tip to Avoid Holiday Pounds: Spend the next 4 weeks eating like a caveman, with 2 daily exceptions.
Here’s why: Holiday pounds are caused by eating too many foods that are high in carbohydrates, fats and simple sugars.
Notice I didn’t focus on only carbohydrates. I always remind my clients- It’s not carbs that are the enemy, or even fats for that matter… it’s when you eat too much of them together.
You can avoid all that by sticking with an eating plan created by our pre-historic ancestors, while still keeping things fun by allowing for 2 small daily exceptions.
This is what you would eat…
(1) As many fresh and fiber-filled vegetables as you want.
- Load up on salads.
- Enjoy vegetable side dishes.
- Just no starchy vegetables like potato or corn.
(2) Lots of lean, protein-filled meats and eggs.
- Stick with meat that has been roasted, barbequed, or baked.
- Avoid fried meats and eggs.
(3) Fruits, nuts and seeds in moderation
- Fresh fruit for a delicious dessert.
- Only two thumbs of nuts or seeds for a snack.
- Don’t eat sugar-added fruits, nuts or seeds.
… (4) Then enjoy only 2 small exceptions…
- Bread or grain product: No larger than the size of your palm.
- Starchy vegetables: Half of a cup.
- Baked goods: Should fit into the palm of your hand.
- Candies or confections: The smaller the better.
- Holiday drinks: stick to 8 ounce drinks with ice included. Try soda water and ice and THEN add your alcohol. I’m not recommending martinis or wine or drinks with juice added for obvious reasons.
This plan works because it allows you to indulge in 2 exceptions each day. This encourages you to pick and choose the holiday cheat food that you really love, as opposed to feeling obligated to eat everything in sight.
When you navigate the buffet line at your next holiday party, feel confident knowing that you have a game plan. Stick with salad, vegetables and meats first, then pick out your 2 small exceptions and savor those.
Remember, I’m here to help you meet your fitness and weight loss goals.
Call (480) 518-3749 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today to get started on a fitness program that will turn your holiday weight gain into a holiday slim down. Ask about our new Registered Dietitian Meal plans for 2018 when we talk!